FAQ: Linking to Streaming Videos
A Best Practices Guide for Instructors
“I would like to link to streaming videos from library databases for my course. How can I do that?"
Streaming Video Collections
Search our collections for a streaming video that you’d like your students to watch.
Links can be embedded in Moodle or in software such as MS Word or PowerPoint.
Copyright law requires that a full citation be provided for all resources that you link to.
The URL (Link)
- Copy the persistent link
- Paste the link into your Moodle site
Note: Do not copy the URL from the browser bar. Look in the item record for a permanent link. (See below for exceptions)
Correct URLs will begin with this prepend: http://ezproxy.library.selkirk.ca/login?url=
Important: If the prepend is missing, paste it in front of the URL
- Sample Title URL from Films on Demand:
- Sample Segment URL from Films on Demand:
- Sample URL from Library Catalogue:
Tip: Choose URL from catalogue record tab, not from the browser bar.
- Sample URL from NFB Campus Collection:
Tip: NFB is an exception! Choose the URL from the browser bar.
http://ezproxy.library.selkirk.ca/login?url= Must be manually added to the beginning of the URL
Login to Library Resources
Users that are off campus or are using a remote device will be prompted to login to access library resources.
- Your Library login is not the same as your Moodle login.
It is good academic practice to include a complete reference list of all the works included in your Moodle course. Remember that copyright law requires that full citations be provided. The reference list would include citations for all the articles, ebooks, streaming videos, websites etc. that you link to.
- Please contact IT Services for assistance with Moodle or eCampus.
- Please contact the Library for assistance with Library resources and document URLs.
Contact the Library:
Phone: 250.365.1229 (or 1.888.953.1133 ext. 229)